Thirty habits to cultivate in the new year because? Because one goal just seemed like underachieving.
Truth be told, I have never really made a New Years resolution, and don’t intend to this year.
12:01, Jan 1, seems like an arbitrary start date, and while the symbolism of a clean slate and fresh start are understandable, I prefer to look at a new year as a new theme instead of through some far off destination that seems untouchable anyway.
While I am happy to shed some things in the new year, I know some old habits will creep back up, but if I return back to this list, my theme will show back up in my life. This year my theme is TRUTH. Truth connects me to myself, it makes me feel more grounded. My decisions are based less on outcomes and shiny objects, and more in alignment with being true to my purpose.
I invite you to borrow from this list and think about what theme you think your life would benefit from this year. Start with a big gratitude list first and then an assessment — What would bring more peace, more happiness, more growth, more joy, more service, more balance into my life and those around me?
Remember this theme, whatever it may be, applies to your financial life, your health, your relationships, your family, your career, your emotions etc.
- You are the only one who can love you enough, accept you enough, value you enough. Don’t give anyone else that power. You are your most sacred relationship.
- Your life will improve only when you take small chances, and the first and most difficult chance you can take is to be honest with yourself – About everything in your life.
- There is a ton of freedom in realizing that life is happening through you and not to you. You are the only thing you have control over.
- Look for something positive about this moment but don’t ignore your feelings. Even if you have to look a little harder than usual, there is always a reason for the things that show up in our life.
- Comparison is the thief of happiness. You could spend a lifetime worrying about what others have, but it wouldn’t get you anything.
- Peace and happiness come when you feel good about yourself without needing anyone’s approval. Never apologize for being who you are.
- Do not mistake kindness for weakness, nor forgiveness for acceptance. What you tolerate you end up with.
- Give without expectation, and not as manipulation.
- Don’t lose your own voice. The opinions or issues of someone else should not prevent you from taking up space in the world. You deserve to be seen and heard.
- Speak your truth and passions authentically. There is no greater sadness than a story untold. Don’t let anyone stifle your fire.
- You can’t change how people treat you or what they say about you. Respect everyone’s path. All you can do is change how you react and who you choose to be around.
- Be patient, but don’t procrastinate. Be hopeful, but not naive.
- Cultivate stillness. It’s good to spend time alone and get to know your self and your discomforts. Learn to enjoy your own company.
- You are the only one who can decide how valuable you are. Look at your life’s circumstances. What do they reflect back to you about how you value yourself?
- When it’s right, you will know. You don’t have to force anything.
- Create art with your words. You can create masterpieces of love with the language you use with others.
- Feel. You don’t have to always react from your emotions, but it is not “spiritual” to stuff and deny your feelings.
- Give it room to blossom. Often what is happening beyond your physical reality is way more powerful than what is happening in your current now.
- It’s always better to be at the bottom of the ladder you want to climb than the top of the one you don’t.
- Happiness creates wealth, wealth does not create happiness.
- You can’t always wait for the perfect moment. Take imperfect action, but …
- Your feelings are the guide you’ve been waiting for. They are the doorway into breakthroughs, they are where your intuition and soul’s higher knowing are.
- Appreciate how far you’ve come. Progress not perfection. It’s always about the journey.
- Let go. Clear things out. Make space. Destroy.
- One of the most freeing moments in life is when you finally realize that you have no control over other people. Not their reactions, not their actions, not their feelings. .
Invite in the Divine. Ask for help and guidance. You aren’t alone.
- Tell someone you love and appreciate how much you admire or cherish them, other than on birthdays and anniversaries. Even something as simple as an email or text message randomly to your loved ones will go a long way.
- Make time for human connection.
What theme do you want for your life in 2014? Balance, Integrity, Openness, Ease are some that seem juicy to me.
There will be lots of exciting blog transformations around here in 2014. Of course all done through the theme of living as close to my personal TRUTH as possible. Let me know if there are any specific topics or recipes you are interested in seeing more of.
Have a Happy New Year!
Light and Love